Monday, May 16, 2011

Thing #16 - Facebook

  Facebook is still a somewhat controversial social networking site.  There are some schools, I have heard, that do not allow teachers to have accounts.  Some allow it, but do not allow teachers to have students as 'friends.'  Ours does not have a policy, but my own policy is to not have students under 18 as part of my Facebook, unless they are relatives.  I think that there are times other people may post inappropriate things I do not want children to see, and it is my personal site.
  Saying that, I think it can be a valuable tool for parents.  Last year was the first time I was on Facebook.  I joined for my own enjoyment, but soon found many of the parents of my students wanting to be friends.  I have often thought I would like to created an account just for our class.  This would be another tool that would allow communication, and in some cases, instant feedback and responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment